Saturday, July 20, 2013

Stay-cation!

I took vacation days on Thursday and Friday to spend time with Robyn and Andrew. For those of you who don't know, Robyn and I were in gymnastics together as kids, and we're now better friends than ever before! They arrived on Wednesday at about 4, and we went to the Haunted Mansion that evening (good idea, Andrew!). I asked Little Fox if he'd go through the house with us, and he said yes, but then we got there and he wouldn't go past the front desk. I eventually picked him up and carried him into the first room, and he cried the whole time. So we waited outside while R and A went through. They found it quite unsettling, and said that it's a good thing Little Fox didn't go. Then we went on the rides a few times, and went for a "thrilling" ride on the "train".


On Thursday, we spent the day at Shining Waters. Little Fox LOVES it there and has been asking to go there, almost on  a daily basis, since last summer. But when we got there, he was completely out of sorts and disagreeable. We looked at all the little attractions, like the tilted house, and the pedal boats. We did the big slide once, and then smaller body slides a lot. We spent some time in their new pool, which was great. Over all it was a good day, with 'some' whining and crying. There exists an underwater photo of me, and some pictures of us on the slides and in the pool, but they are on Robyn's camera.

On the way home, we passed the Boardwalk, and I spotted someone bouncing in a harness and bungees. I had a minor freak-out at the prospect of bouncing. It was 10 dollars for 4 minutes of bouncing on a trampoline with the aid of a harness and bungees so you could go super high. TOTALLY WORTH IT. I loved it. Before I got strapped in, I asked if I had to take my sunglasses off. The guy asked if I was planning on flipping and I was like "I'm ALLOWED to flip?!" So, I shoved my glasses into my purse and jumped up. I felt foolish because I was wearing a dress over my bathing suit and the harness had it all hitched up in the most unattractive way. It was incredibly difficult to jump straight, but after the first few seconds the guy said that if I did 4 more straight jumps, I could flip. At one point some man in the crowed yelled "HIGHER!" LOL I totally chickened out the first time, but I pulled off a few back tucks... poor technique (head back, butt out) but it was HARD to get the rotation started because the jumps were like slow motion, and I wasn't 100% sure of where I was so I wanted to be able to spot the bed of the tramp on my way down. Robyn has a video, which I'm hoping to get! Anyway, it was AWESOME. I'm going back to do it again some day! I was totally exhausted and shaking by about 3.5 minutes. The boys went too, did a great job, and seemed to really like it. The guy pulled down on their legs and let them fly super high!


 

 
We went to the general store and saw an RCMP officer who was nice enough to let us meet his horse and snap a few pictures.
 

 
We spent Thursday at the Boardwalk. It was overcast and misty, so the bungee thing wasn't open. We spent the morning browsing the shops and then had lunch at Pizza Delight. We had some COWS ice cream, and then tried the hamster balls. That's not what they are really called, but it's exactly what they are. Big, blow-up clear plastic balls that you get into and run around in... only it's on water. And you can't run. It's almost impossible to even stand up! Little Fox, Andrew and I all did it while Robyn took pictures, and got soaked in the downpour. After that, we tried black-light mini golf, but it was about a 50% success and a 50% epic fail. The boys didn't really understand the rules, because we mommies failed to explain the game. So we had a few hurt feelings, but I think the highlight was Andrews awesome hole in 1! We got about  three quarters of the way through before there were tears, and Little Fox complained of being "bored", so we sat outside while R and A finished up.
 

 
Then we went back to Island Beach Company to buy our onsies. Warm and cozy. Not to mention sexy.

After bedtime that night, the mommies had some more wine, and then Red Fox came and joined us on the deck and we talked until 2 am. I had a great time, and I'm so glad they came to visit!

After they left today, Red Fox and I went out to clean one of the cottages. We knew something had made a nest in the fire place, so Red Fox took it all apart. A squirrel made a nice little cozy home in there for her 6 or so TINY babies.

 
I called Alex's Alex, who said to gently put the whole thing in a box and put it somewhere where the mother would find them. Red Fox put the box just below the fireplace vent, which was the mother's entrance to the nest. Hopefully they will all be ok.

Tomorrow, Red fox and Little Fox head to NS. Red is going for a week-long training course, and Little is going to my mom's for his vacation. I am hoping to start running again after letting my knee rest for a week, and to get the house cleaned up a bit. (Ha!).

1 comment:

  1. Omg....I've never seen baby squirrels before! That is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete