Sunday, February 2, 2014

Half Training Ver 2.0 - Week 1

Last summer, I attempted to train for the half marathon at the PEI marathon. That plan fell through because my knee started to hurt on any run longer than 10k. I started physio and was told that I have weak hips. So i instead ran the 10k at the PEI marathon, and although I was disappointed I wasn't running the Half, I was really pleased with my just-over-55-minute time. 

This past week was Week 1 of Half Marathon Training, Version 2.0. New and improved. 

I have a totally different mindset about it this year. Almost lackadaisical. Well, maybe not, but just not as intense and serious as last time. Last time, I think I was too focused on running fast and working hard, and I think I ran too much for my body to handle, and therefore got hurt. This time, I'm just running. I don't care if I stop and walk. I don't care how long it takes me. I don't care if I miss a run or 2 (although I will try my best not to!). 

So, week one consisted of only 2 runs. It was supposed to be 3, but the 3rd on just didn't happen. The first run was on Wednesday, and was a 5k. I ran that one in about 32 minutes (last year, my fastest 5k was just over 26 minutes, so I'm quite a bit slower than I was!). Yesterday, I ran 6k. Ish. LOL Just before heading out the door I remembered that my Garmin died on my previous run, and I didn't charge it. So I ran from home to the beach and back, which is 2.5k, and then down River Rd and back which is just under 4k. I have to say, that was one great run! I really enjoyed it. The weather was not-freezing, the road wasn't completely icy, and I felt like I was running well. The best part is that I conquered that damn hill! I took a short walk break before the hill, then ran up, and took a short walk break at the top. I'm sure someone walking could have made it up faster than I did, but I did it!

"Cross training" was ballet class. Lots of jumps, spins, and muscle squeezing. The muscles around my hips and butt were REALLY sore the next day! The jumping is crazy. it's not like one jump and then stand around for a few minutes talking about. It's one jump on every count of music, for at least 16 counts. the rest for like 4 counts, then jumping again. All the while keeping every muscle squeezed. 

The plan for next week, ideally, includes 3 runs (8k long run), ballet (if Red Fox is still home), and to keep up with my strengthening and stretching. To go from 6 to 8 k for my long run seems like a big jump, but hopefully it will be ok. 




8 comments:

  1. Way to go Erin for setting a goal again. We all learn something from our injuries and it looks like you did as well. I'm sure you'll do great in your training and I look forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear your sense of determination in achieving this goal Erin. I think it is a smart move to focus on finishing. I did that for my first 1/2 and full and had a very pleasant experience. It will be a sure fire PB no matter what you run. :D I am also jealous that you are doing ballet... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Right now, i think my goal is to START the half marathon. Just after crossing the start line, I'll shift the goal to "finish line" LOL

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have a great plan ahead. I like that you're shifting your mind set. I think often we focus too much on time and not enough on enjoying the experience. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to change the display on my Garmin to only display my distance, and not my pace or time... that way I can just focus on getting it done, not getting it done quickly. Cause really, who cares how fast I am? Other than me, right?

      Delete
  4. I love when you go out running without a garmin and just run for the love of running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a definite correlation between having or not having my garmin, and my level of enjoyment!

      Delete