Friday, February 28, 2014

PEI's Golden Girl

The city of Summerside, which is about 25 minutes from here, is the hometown of Olympian Heather Moyse. Heather and her bobsleigh partner just became 2-time Olympic gold medalists; they won gold in Vancouver, and defended their spot at the top of the podium in Sochi.

Summerside and the Credit Union Place held a Welcome Home and Congratulations Heather event tonight, and I desperately wanted to go. I asked Red Fox earlier today if he wanted to go and shot down that idea pretty quickly. But then I decided to bribe him with supper at MacDonalds, and he relented.

PEI Potatoes were giving out 25,000 lbs of potatoes at this event. They had pallets full of 10-lb bags of potatoes. Of course, I made Blaine get a bag as soon as we got there and then carry it around until we left. I didn't want to miss out of the freebies! haha


We made our way into the arena where they had a stage set up, and a band playing. They were good entertainment while we waited for Heather to arrive. Those of you know know me in real life know that I am always early. And you know, not just a little early. REALLY early. So we got a good spot right beside the "red carpet". 

First to enter were the colour party and all the VIP's like the mayor and Heather's parents and family. 



Then the CBC show started and it was time for Heather to come in. 



I got some photos, and then jumped out like a crazy person reached out to shake her hand. I said congratulations, and she thanked me, grabbing my hand with both of hers, and grinned at the 3 of us. 

Thats me! On CBC! Little Fox is in front of me, and Red of is behind me.

Then of course it was time for the speeches and such. When she sat down, I heard her 2 huge gold medals clanking together, and my first thought was "Olympian Problems"! Heather was informed that she'll be awarded with the Order of PEI later this year, and that Summerside will be establishing a $1000 dollar scholarship in her honour, as well as naming a street Heather Moyse Drive (with gold lettering on the sign!). They gave her the PEI flag that flew over city hall during the games. Heather was very emotional, and I saw her wiping tears quite a few times! She answered some questions, and explained why she's so generous with her medals. Basically she said that to her, the medals represent the dreams of every Canadian, and she's seen people stand taller when holding the medal, and that people have been inspired to try the things they may not have tried otherwise. 

We left before it was over, but it all made me feel really proud of being Canadian and living in PEI. I might not be FROM PEI, but I feel like I am as much an Islander as I am Bluenoser. 

The whole thing can be seen on the CBC Compass website at:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/PEI/Compass/ID/2439833418/ (it starts at about an hour and 2 minutes). Look for us in the video! 







3 comments:

  1. awesome and I am glad that you got the chance to shake her hand. She seems like such a cool person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I've never seen an Olympic medal in real life.

    I love the pic of Little fox and the potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I remember holding Karen Furneau's medal...and it was a lot heavier than I ever thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete