Sunday, March 2, 2014

Half Training Ver 2.0 - Week 5

Another good running week! Yay. I think I'm finally getting my groove back.

Tuesday was a 5k. I need to start writing run recaps as soon as I finish because by the time I get around to writing my weekly blog on sundays, I forget the details. I know I ran, I know it was 5k, but's about all I remember. LOL

Thursday, I did hill repeats for the first time ever. A guy I know from High School runs trail ultras, so I asked him for some tips for training for the trail race in august. He said exactly what I dreaded expected: hill training. Ugh. So I went out on Thursday and ran That Damn Hill 4 times. The run from home down to the bottom of the hill is exactly 1k. I ran up 4 times, and then ran home, and the total came to 4k. I did have my garmin with me for that run, so I knew how long it took, but I can't remember now.

Today was long run day. I thought it was going to be terrible. My mom and step-father arrived yesterday to visit for a few days, and I had a glass of their wine last  night. Apparently, home-made wine doesn't agree with me well. I woke up at 3am, feeling hung over... from ONE glass! I slept off and on til 6:20, then got up. I had 2 blueberry muffins and 3 slices of bacon, got my running gear on and trudged out the door. It was about -7 with the wind chill, which is damn near balmy considering the weather we've been having lately! Yesterday's wind chill was -25. I had 11k on the schedule for today, but I "secretly" planned to do 12k. I ran to the beach, and from there headed out to the Anne museum, which would total about 7k, and then 5k back to the driveway. It was SO WINDY. At one point I stopped in my tracks, looked into the wind and said out loud "come on! what the hell!?". I had to stop a few times and turn around so I could rub some feeling back into my face! I got the full 12k done, but it wasn't very speedy. I think my average pace was 6:53/km. But hey, I got it done, right?

After the run, we all went to a community brunch, and I am having some lingering "digestive distress". Ah, the joys of being a runner, right?!

5 comments:

  1. Great job Erin....so glad you've got your running mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, hills... I have scheduled dates with them in the near future. It's a love/hate relationship really. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, awesome job on the long run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a strong training week. This might sound crazy but I love running hill repeats! They're hard work but there's something about crossing each one off! Way to get out there for the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started running alcohol in any amount would totally throw me off. I guess I’ve either toughened up or maybe I just drink more regularly now because it doesn’t seem to bother me the same way! Great job on getting your runs done, even the hills (ugh)

    ReplyDelete