Sunday, March 16, 2014

Half Training Ver 2.0 - Week 7

Tuesday morning, I finally decided I was feeling "better enough" to run. I still wasn't 100% better, but it was more of a sinus problem than a chest problem. I checked the weather and decided to run after work when the wind would be lighter and the temps warmer. I finished up at 4:30, got changed and headed out with the plan to take it nice and slow and easy. It felt SO good to get out and run after more than a week. I pretty much sprinted down TDH, but then stopped to... blow my nose. I have been so stuffed up, and it was nice to be able to employ the "farmers blow", because my nose is so sore from using issues.

Anyway, enough with the grossness. I ran the River Rd, and I felt great. It was warm-ish, not much wind, and quiet. It was the first run since October that I felt like my old runner-self. Like I could stretch out and run freely, instead of fighting my way through the weather and just "Get it done".

Now that I said THAT, we're getting a snow storm tonight and tomorrow, so... ugh. Come on spring!

In other news, The Blue Nose marathon just opened their slogan contest. Here's my submission. It would be so cool to win and see everyone wearing it (not to mention the free admission to the race!). But I'm sure it's a long shot!
 
 
Wednesday night it started snowing at about 6, and didn't stop until Thursday evening. The wind was crazy enough that my bedroom curtains were moving (we obviously have leaky windows). School was cancelled on Thursday and we again have giant snowdrifts everywhere. The driveway got snowblown today (Friday) at about 10, so I waited until after work to go for a run. I couldn't wait to get out and run... my legs were achy from sitting down at my desk all day, and I needed to get some blood pumping. The wind was light, it was sunny, and warm-ish. I planned to do hill repeats today. But by between the top of the hill and the bottom, I was chased by 3 dogs, and there was one other dog which was being held back by it's owner. Where did all the dogs come from?! Usually there might be ONE dog, but 4?! So, I decided to just keep going and not run past the dogs over and over. I ran the River Road (with a little extra across the highway), and felt pretty good. I was almost sad when I got back home!

 
Sunday Runday! Today was long run day. I had 14k on my schedule. I planned to run the beach route twice (which would add up to 5k) and then head out toward the Anne museum. But after my first lap of the beach route, my garmin died. So I decided that since I knew that the beach route is almost exactly 2.5k, I'd just run that a million times until I got the total kms I wanted.
 
 After the first 2 laps, I had a really sore spot on my toe. I made a quick trip into the house, trimmed my toenails, put some tape on the sore spot, changed my sneakers, and then headed back out. I originally had my old sneakers on with my ice spikes, but the road was clear so changing my sneakers was something I wanted to do anyway. I ended up doing the route 6 times, which added up to 15k. 14k ended with me down at the beach, so why not run back home, right?
 
It was a good run, and there were a lot of people out walking. Met some new people, got some compliments on my Christmas decorations that I still have hanging outside, and got some applause for my running efforts. Whenever I got down to the beach, I picked up a rock to put in the mailbox so that I could keep track of my laps. The lady who lives down here must have been thinking "what is that crazy woman doing now?!" The weather was pretty decent, except that one short stretch where the wind whips across the road. That last lap was pretty awesome. It was my longest run ever, and for some reason the 15 km distance made me feel like a "real" runner.
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Way to kill it Erin....I giggled when I read about the rocks...need to do something like that for Lucky 7!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I had to laugh at myself... since I'm a geologist, I chose my rocks carefully, and seriously considered saving them when I was finished. LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh I think you have the most awesome slogan! :D

    Great job on your 15k!!!!! I love your rock system...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, you make me want to run,,,
    Love you tshirt slogan

    ReplyDelete