Sunday, March 30, 2014

Half Training Ver 2.0 - Week 9

What a crazy week it's been! The snowstorm of the year was forcast for wednesday, so I headed out for a run on Tuesday. I ran the beach route twice, and at the beginning I felt AWESOME. After the first 2k, I was feeling much less awesome, and the only thing that made me turn around at the mailbox and run it again was autopilot. I really struggled on the way back up the hill, but I got it done and felt good that I did it.

Then, Wednesday afternoon, the snow came. And the wind. It was a CRAZY storm here on the north shore of PEI. School was cancelled. We were lucky, though, and only lost power for about an hour and a half. On wednesday at about 5:15, I turned the stove on to make supper and the power went out. Of course! Thankfully, I expected the power to go out, so for supper on Tuesday, I made 6 big baked potatoes so that we'd have leftovers. We cut up a few potatoes and some hotdogs, put it all in our cast iron pan and cooked it over the wood stove. Little Fox thought it was the greatest thing ever. The power came back on as soon as we finished eaing!

On Thursday,  I woke up early. I'm a huge weather geek, so I was excited to see how much snow we got. I was NOT disapointed. For the rest of the day, I wavered between awe and dismay. There was just so.much.snow. School was cancelled again.


Dude, where's your car?!


This is what the guest house cottage looked like.

That's a LOT of snow.

Lost a few shingles from the roof of one of the cottages.

Those are the tops of trees. Little 4-foot tall trees.

The drift behind the barn

The snow blower had to work pretty hard!

 
We spent Thursday waiting for the snowblower to arrive. He finally got here at about 7:30pm. He said that he started that morning at 6am, and we were the worst he saw all day. School was cancelled again on Friday! So we all spent a lot of time outside, shovelling out the truck, playing in the snow, and walking aound to see jsut how much we had.

On Saturday morning, I saw on twitter that they announced the slogan winners for the Blue Nose Marathon. I didn't win. BUT the winner of the kid's slogan was "Run til you're blue in the nose". Sound familiar????? I emailed them and asked how the winners are chosen, since that is the slogan I submitted, and I submitted it about 5 minutes after the contest was announced. I don't really expect anything to come of it, but I was pretty annoyed. Free entry to the race would be awesome. My race fee is a Christmas gift from mom, but still, free is free!

Anyway, after that, I was annoyed so I went ouside to vent my frustrations on the snow. We had to get into the barn to get some wood and the oil cans, but the door was snowed in. After lunch, we went into Summerside for some oil and groceries. The boys dropped me off at the Credit Union Place so I could run on the indoor track while they ran the errands. I wanted to get my long run done, and I was worried that I'd be bored running around the track. BUT I was really looking forward to running on a level surface, with no ice or snow, no cold, and no wind in my face! It was glorious. LOL There was a hockey game, and I had some music, so I wasn't as bored as I thought I'd be. Also, it took a lot of brain power to keep track of all the laps! I did about 60 laps, which is about 15 km. I may have lost count, but I was running for about an hour and 40 minutes, so it seems about right!

My plan of attack was to run 10 laps, and then have a drink and walk one lap. After about 30 laps, my legs started to get pretty sore, but I kept going. Even with the sore legs, I REALLY enjoyed this run. I was surprised a how "easy" it was to run on the flat surface, and surprised at how much easier it was to keep my pace consistent.

When we got home from Summerside, we drove down toward the beach. Our road is basically flooded with all the melt run-off. The flood waters (ok, maybe not a FLOOD, but there's a lot of water!) start at the cottage driveway, and go all the way down to the beach. I'm SO glad I ran inside!

We're under another weather warning for today (Sunday) and tomorrow. Snow and freezing rain. Seriously. This has got to stop!

After all the shoveling and the long run, I am REALLY sore today. My back and shoulders hurt, and my thighs are killing me. Its amusing to note that the right side of my upper body hurts the most, and my left leg hurts more than the right (from running in a "circle"??). I am feeling a little unbalanced today! I plan to do some foam rolling and have a warm epsom salt soak!

3 comments:

  1. Your power outage supper sounds super fun! :) I love 'dude, where's your car?' LOL.

    I'm always one-sided sore after a track run. And, I lose count as well...lol. Great job on that mental strength to do an indoor 15k!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That storm was CRAZY! My husband was working in Ch'town during that storm - he said it was unreal the amount of snow and trying to navigate the ambulance around the snow was crazy!
    Great job on your running too! Bummer about the slogan :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Heather....you deserve a medal for running that long on an indoor track! Do you remember what green grass looks like???

    ReplyDelete