Saturday, December 7, 2013

Santa Shuffle Run Recap

This morning was the Charlottetown Santa Shuffle. It's a fundraiser for the Salvation Army, and runners get a finishers medal, so it's a win-win!

I was super grumpy this morning, and I think it was nerves/annoyance at myself for not running in sooo long (Sorry, Red and Little Fox!). I dressed in my gingerbread man halloween costume, and we hit the road. We got there pretty early; there were maybe 20 runners there when I got there, and they were all dressed in their running finest - lulu tights, running room jackets, etc. And here I am dressed as a freaking gingerbread man! I began to worry that I this wasn't going to be as "fun" as the Dartmouth Santa Shuffle I ran last year, and I'd end up being the only fool! But finally more and more people started showing up in costumes.

The weather was perfect. It was about 1 degree, and the roads were pretty clear. Only one big lake puddle to worry about. The route was two times around a 2.5km loop.

So, we were off, and I was feeling pretty good. I saw a km marking up ahead and actually swore out loud when I saw that it said 1 km! That's what I get for being a slacker. Lesson learned.

I think I finished in about 30 minutes, based on the time stamps on the photos Red Fox took. Little Fox did an awesome job cheering me on, and the Cadets they had along the route were great, giving out high 5's and encouragement at every corner. There were over 100 runners, and a day or 2 before the run they had raised $3000, with more coming in today.

The newspaper posted some photos online, and I'm in 2 of them:
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2013-12-07/article-3534965/Santa-Shuffle-fills-Charlottetown-with-Christmas-cheer/1

Here are a few more:



2 comments:

  1. I love your gingerbread man costume! It's sort of like we virtually ran together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the gingerbread man costume. It looks sooo wonderfully warm!

    ReplyDelete