Monday, November 25, 2013

High Water and Swags

It's been SO windy here in PEI. It seems like it's been "blowin' a gale" for weeks now. A few nights ago, we were driving home and when we passed the docks on River Road, we noticed that the water level was REALLY high. I think it was a combination of the daily highest tide and  the wind blowing the water into the bay.

Here's what the water looks like on an average day in the boat launch ramp:

This is what it looked like a few nights ago. Sorry it's dark, but it was... you know... dark out. 


Here's a photo of the docks on an average day. You can see how low the boats are, and in the background, you can see the wharf and the water line. 


Here's a picture of the same wharf: 


OK, so maybe this isn't interesting to the average reader... but for a geo-geek like me, it's exciting!

Also, here's a picture of our house, with Christmas decorations in progress... lights will be put up soon.


See those swags on the posts? Yesterday morning, I went to the field behind the house. I thought I could cut some green branches from the tree line there... only, there weren't any evergreen trees along that tree line. I could see lots on the other side. So, I hiked across the field (this is a big PEI potato field!). Halfway across, my legs started to feel heavy, and when I looked down, my boots were CAKED with wet clay and mud. Out in the open field, the wind was crazy, it was snowing and COLD. I finally made it to the other tree line, cut some branches and then realized that I'd have to carry them all back to the house... if I dragged them, they'd be covered in mud too. So I gathered them all up in a big bundle, and headed home... the wind and snow was in my face this time, and the branches were wet and heavy. When I got home, I was exhausted, my arms were shaking, and I was wet, cold and muddy. After I warmed up, I cut the branches and wired them together, and added some dollar-store silver branches and a bow. I think they turned out really well, and I love them. 


Last night, Red Fox hugged me and said that I make Christmas special. THAT makes it all worth it. 


3 comments:

  1. It looks great, so glad it came with a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh...my heart melted when I read that last line.....great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house looks amazing! I love the style of your place. I can't even imagine how much property you guys have after chatting with you during lucky 7 weekend. You're such a trooper to get those branches, lol....I would have scrapped that idea as soon as I looked down at my muddy feet! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete