Wednesday, November 20, 2013

That Damn Hill

Last weekend, Heather asked me what the deal is with the hill that I so lovingly refer to as That Damn Hill.

I used Google Earth to get the elevation profile. I tried to start it on the flat part at the bottom of the hill, and end it on the flat part at the top. The stats are as follows:

Elevation gain: 35 m
Total Distance: 640 m
Average Slope: 5.7%


This hill kills me because it's at the end of my run. By the time i get to this damn hill, I have nothing left.

Another hill I run often is on Hwy 20. It's not as steep, but it's 1 km long, 33 m elevation gain with an average slope of 4%.

So my typical 10 k run looks like the profile below.  It's an out-and-back route, so for clarity I only digitized the 5 k from home to Anne's (big red arrow on the map). Then I have to turn around and run back home. The vertical exaggeration makes it look crazy...


Here's the full 10 k, from home to Anne's to home. 

 No wonder my splits are so inconsistent!

3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I totally get it now. It also sounds quite like the full marathon route where the ending parts have you climb, mount Everest 3x before the finish! (Possible exaggeration) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a crazy route....but think how fast you'll be on slow routes due to all this training!!!

    ReplyDelete