Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Ballet and a bat

Yesterday, I started a ballet class! Here in PEI, they have what's called "community schools" where people in the community volunteer their time to teach a class. There are classes for everything, like guitar, photography, improv, knitting, web design, public speaking, budgeting, self defense, and more. The classes are offered all over the Island.

I've been looking for an affordable adult ballet class for years. There were a few classes in Halifax, but they were expensive. This class is only 20 dollars for 10 weeks. The downside is that it's in Charlottetown. 

I really enjoyed it! There were about 15 people in the class, and most of them are about my age, so I might even make a friend. One of them had on a Boston jacket (from 2010, I think)! We had a little run chat, and then class started. We did the classic ballet positions and worked on toe point. I have a terrible turn out! New resolution for this year: pay attention to my posture... I used to have such good posture... now I'm slumpy.
After ballet last night, we settled in to watch Dr. Who. I'm a newbie to Dr. Who... I started with season 5 on the advice of a friend and LOVED it, so I went back to season 1 on Netflix. Anyway, we just got through the episode introduction when a freaking BAT flew over my head and around the sunroom. I immediately pulled the blanket over my head and yelled THAT'S A BAT! BLAINE! A BAT! He was sitting right beside me, calmly watching this thing fly around saying "that is so cool". I'm still under the blanket yelling PAUSE THE SHOW! I'M MISSING IT! BLAINE, GET IT!

I know, I'm super cool under pressure. 

The bat flew into the kitchen area, so I grabbed Molly and we went upstairs. Red Fox eventually caught the bat using Molly's blanket, and it's presently residing in one of my tupperware containers (which will of course be thrown out), awaiting a call to the "officials". Last month, the news paper ran a story saying that PEI officials want "all bats, dead or alive" (lol) because they are trying to track their wintering sites and the occurrence of this bat disease. (This bat doesn't have a white nose, so I think it's disease-free). 

As for running, I'm sorry, but it is just too damn cold out there. It's very windy today, and the wind chill is -31. I was hoping it was going to be warmer less cold, because the roads are clear for the first time in over a month. The forecast looks good, though, so I'm hoping to run tomorrow. I'm doing pretty good with planks, though! I have a seven day streak going. I know that sounds piddly, but it's my longest streak yet for planks. I'm hoping to be able to do 2 mins by the end of the month. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh girl...that's a good plank streak...I celebrate if I get 5 days in a row. They aren't hard to do for about a minute so I don't know why I suck on keeping them consistent!!!!

    I might have sided with Blaine thinking it was cool. LOL. I have a little mouse visitor...despite having 3 cats. It's the cold weather driving them anywhere it's warm!!

    I want a picture of your water bottle please!!!! (from your comment on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best story! LOL. I had a squirrel come run through my house and climb up my curtains last summer.....good times. ;)

    Awesome job with the planking!!! You will see a difference in your core strength I guarantee :)

    I love that you noticed the Boston Jacket! That's super cool. I also really like the idea of a community school. Keep us updated on the ballet :)

    ReplyDelete