Sunday, January 19, 2014

My new best friend

Ok, for YEARS now, I've had a burning kind of ache in my upper back, between my shoulder blades. It's been going on for so long that I kind of stopped noticing it, unless it gets really bad. And when it does get bad, it's that kind of muscle pain that *demands* to be massaged, and massaged hard. Red Fox's thumbs can only take so much, so I used to lean back onto a corner or a door knob (just picture that, for a second...LOL). And then when I made my pool-noodle foam roller, it was almost perfect. But not quite.

Little Fox got a hockey ball for Christmas, and on friday night, I put it on the floor and laid on it. It was PERFECT. It was small enough that it pushed on the exact spot, and of course I could roll it around to get the other spots. Finally. Hurts so good! I probably moaned once or twice. LOL


On my last post, one of the commenters asked if I was planning on running at the Blue Nose this year. And yes, I am! I'm *planning* on running the Half. I think I'm going to take my training a little less... intense than I did last time, and focus on being able to finish. I think last time, I was too focused on finishing FAST, and maybe that's what led to the knee/hip problems.

That being said, I've been consistent in doing the hip strengthening exercises I learned at physio, and I have my training plan set up. So, yeah, a 2-hour-ish finish time would be incredible and amazing, but at this point, I'm thinking it's a long shot. So... run and finish, and then spend the rest of the summer running for fun and doing the small races close to home. Although there are a few awesome races I'd like to take part in in NS... and if timing and funds allow, I hope to do some of the fun ones and get some medals.

As for current running activity,  I didn't run this weekend. I've been feeling... pukey, for lack of a better term (no, I'm not pregnant!). I haven't actually BEEN sick, thank goodness, but still not feeling great. Mackenzie wasn't feeling well this morning either, so maybe we caught some sort of bug that's just chillin out in our systems, waiting to pounce at the most inopportune time... like when Red Fox is in NS this week. Knock on wood and cross your fingers and all that.

4 comments:

  1. I Love how you used a pool noodle! LOL.

    I think that's a good goal for your first half: to finish. I did that too and it was so much more fun to train. I actually had a really good time during the race too, even though it was raining cats and dogs....lol. The Blue Nose would be a great first half with all the spectator support! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desperate times called for desperate measures! LOL I put a wooden dowel through the hole in the pool noodle for extra stability, and it works pretty good. I like that it's longer than a regular foam roller.

      Delete
  2. So excited to start following your 1/2 training! I think you have a great plan in just finishing your first...you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my foam roller & lacrosse ball. They do wonders! Congrats on deciding to run the Blue Nose! It's going to be a wonderful experience! Have fun training!

    ReplyDelete