Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween Hustle

On Friday, my friend IP arrived mid-afternoon for an overnight visit. I was really looking forward to having him here, since I've been inviting him repeatedly since we bought Foxfield! He got settled into the guest cottage, and then went to visit another friend of his. While he was gone, I pseudo-metamorphosed into my mother and baked chocolate chip cookies for him to take on the rest of his travels.

We had pizza when he got back, and then hung out in the cottage with wine and party mix, gossiping about people from high school, laughing (and complaining!) about life with kids, and discussing life in general. I got a few laughs out of him, which was my intent.

I stayed up way past my 10pm bedtime, and then set my alarm for 6am for the Halloween Hustle run on Saturday morning.

Saturday was a bit chilly, but my costume was made of jogging pants and a hoodie, and Little Fox's was made to fit over warm clothes, so we were good. I think the costumes turned out well, but the face paint was lackluster. But oh well. Little Fox loved it all.


The fun run was a fundraiser for the IWK, and they also collected warm winter clothes for the Salvation Army. I saw bins full of coats, and they raised over $1000 for the IWK. Over 100 people registered for the Kensington run! "The Runman" and his mom were there, of course, and she took a group photo and finish line photos of everyone, as she usually does for PEI races.

Little Fox and I ran the 2k, which was supposed to be for walkers (there was also a 5k). When I say "we ran it", I mean, we ran for like 3 minutes until he started whining that he was tired, can we turn around now. LOL I joked and cajoled him into getting to the turn around point, and then we skipped/walked/ran/danced our way back to the finish line... anything I could think of to get him to keep going and to have fun. Not gonna lie, I even bribed him with hot chocolate (which was at the finish line anyway, for all participants). 


Here we are at the finish line! See the little guy behind us, in the bright orange shirt? That's the kid that ran from one end of the Island to the other. After the race, I showed IP around a bit and then he hit the road to NB.

Little Fox said that the run was the best part of his day. Along with... M's bowling birthday party! Our friend's little girl turned 4, and they had her party at the bowling alley. Which was loud and crazy, and the kids loved it!

Little Fox taking his turn, before things got cray-zay. The birthday girl is the one in the polka-dot pants.

Here's a shot of the general chaos. That's 13 people in 2 lanes at once!

The kids were throwing those balls down the lane as fast as the ball return could bring them back. No turns were taken, just a general free-for all! It was definitely one of those situations that you had to just let happen, and it was pretty fun! I think my favorite moment was when I gave some pointers to that older boy in the dark green shirt. Not that I'm an expert bowler by any definition, but he always hit the bumber/gutter on the left side. I told him that he was letting his pinky drop, and to try to keep his hand level. His next shot went right down the center, and when he turned around, I saw him say "it worked!" with a little fist pump. LOL

After the party, Little Fox fell asleep on the drive home. So we let him have "a movie night". We had BLT's for supper, and we all went to bed early. A sign of a successful day!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everyone had a fantastic day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfectly fitting costume to 'Run run as fast as you can.' ;)

    I wish I were half as creative as you Erin!

    ReplyDelete