Saturday, July 6, 2013

Training Recap: Week 2

Monday, July 1

I ran the 5k at the win Shores 5k Fun Run. Recap can be found here.

Distance: 5.17k
Time: 28:41 (garmin) 28:24 (posted)
Pace: 5:33/km

Splits
1 - 5:20
2 - 5:34
3 - 5:35                              
4 - 5:39
5 - 5:32
last 0.17 - 1:02


Tuesday, July 2

I did today's 3k on my lunch hour. Run, shower, make lunch, eat back at my desk. I just ran down to the beach and back, plus a little extra to make the full 3. The run felt great.  It's cool and overcast with a good breeze. Nothing hurt, no killer hills, and it was a short run so I could trick myself into running without stopping! 

Distance: 3k
Time: 16:30
Average Pace: 5:29/km

Splits
1 - 5:25
2 - 5:40
3 - 5:24

Wednesday, July 3


Woke up at 5:45 this morning (I heard Red Fox was up, so I got up a early). Started my 5k run at about 6:15. It was a bit cool out this morning, about 15 degrees, overcast and a little breezy. I felt good. Not great, but good. I was dive-bombed by a couple of birds, which made me pick up my pace. I only walked for a short bit up "that damn hill" but I'm pretty sure I could walk up that hill faster than running up the hill!

Distance: 5k
Time: 29:25
Average Pace: 5:52/km

Splits
1 - 5:40
2 - 5:51 - chased by birds twice
3 - 6:38 - the damn hill
4 - 5:36
5 - 5:38

I just found out this morning that Yoga has been changed from Thursdays to Wednesdays! So for now, I'm going to run 5k on Thursdays and do Yoga on Wednesdays.

Thursday, July 4

I wasn't going to go to the yoga class today. They switched the days for the easy and harder yoga classes, and I really want to do the harder class (it's also at a better time). But I had yoga on the schedule for today (switched to Wednesdays now!) so off I went. It was nice and cool in the studio, not air conditioned, but not sticky like it was outside. Only 4 people showed up for the class, and usually this class is packed! Greg led us through an easy yoga flow, but I didn't feel like I had to work at it as hard as I wanted to be.

Friday, July 5


Rest day. I feel like it's been a long time since my last run, and I really want to go. But my legs are a little sore from yoga yesterday (I'm working on getting my nose to my toes, so the backs of my thighs are sore this morning), and I want to be fresh for my "long" run this weekend. Its only 6k, but it's a race in Summerside along the boardwalk on Saturday morning.

Saturday, July 6

Totally didn't go to the race this morning. After the day we had yesterday (terrible), I wanted to just wake up on my own, and do things on my own schedule. I woke up this morning at about 6:30 (there are so.many.birds. around here). I browsed facebook, and someone posted that he had just finished his morning run. That gave me the incentive to get up and go before it got TOO hot.

It was a tough one. I really wasn't feeling well this morning. My stomach was sloshing around more than the water in my water bottles. I had two false starts. Twice I started and thought, no way am I doing this today. My head was in the game, but my body wasn't. So I walked for a bit, to the corner of our road and river rd, and started for a third time. Third time's a charm, I guess! I ran about 4 k toward the Anne museum, and then turned back for the last 3. I tried to  take it easy and to keep my pace slower, and whenever my Garmin beeped to say "On Pace" I slowed down a little.

It was humid, but not overly hot. I was dive-bombed by the birds again, and harassed by a horsefly. My foot started hurting about half way through the run, and now it's REALLY sore, right by that bump on the outside of the foot. When Red Fox gets up, I'm going to soak my feet in cold water. My lower back was ACHING on the half km walk back home, but it's ok now (I guess core work is on order for tomorrow!).


Every time I have a long run, it makes me think I'll never be able to do this half marathon thing. But I suppose if it was easy...

Distance: 7k
Time: 44:58
Average Pace: 6:25/km

Splits
1 - 6:04
2 - 7:08
3 - 6:16
4 - 6:15
5 - 6:58
6 - 5:53
7 - 6:21

Now, foot soak, shower, and breakfast. I'm starving.


PS. Not sure what's up with the formatting of this post. I didn't change anything, but yet it's displaying differently.

3 comments:

  1. Erin....I remember when I first started training for my 10k...I thought the same thing. I'll never do it. And I DEFINITELY think the same thing about the 1/2 which is why I am slowly building my mileage so it doesn't intimidate me. I have 12.8k on the schedule for tomorrow and that scares the heck out of me! But we can both do it...yep...it's in us. Think of the first time you did a back tuck...or better yet...the straddle back! We can do it, it just takes training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL gah, that straddle back story keeps coming back to "haunt" me. LOL You're right, though!

    12.8 sounds so far, but that's more than half way! I can't wait to read about your run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can totally do it! I always feel that way on a long run. I think it's partially because you have to run them so slow and it's mentally exhausting! Race day adrenaline will fuel you to the finish! :)

    ReplyDelete