Saturday, July 13, 2013

Training Recap: Week 3

Monday, July 8


Last night, I turned on my alarm, and put on my running gear. I read in one of the magazines that Courteney sent me that sleeping in your running clothes helps with morning run motivation, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Well, I'm glad I did. I woke up at 6:45. I thought for sure my alarm was set for 6. The thought of just skipping the run this morning did cross my mind, I admit... but I was already dressed for it, so I had no excuse. So I jumped out of bed and tried to wake up a bit before heading out for the scheduled 5k. 


I plodded along and hated it the whole time! :(  I felt off - rhythm and awkward. I tried to concentrate on keeping my back tall and my hips slightly forward, but I'm sure my legs only kept moving as a reflex to keep me from falling on my face! I stopped once to re-group, and it only helped a little. 


I ran from home to the beach and back, twice. They are spraying the potato fields just down the road, and I worried about breathing in whatever it is they spray. But the guy in the tractor actually waited until I passed before turning on the sprayer. If he did it on purpose, it was super nice of him... if it was just a timing co-incidence, I'll take it!


But, I got it done, and tomorrow is a new day. I'll try to stay hydrated today, and have a good snack before bed for my run tomorrow. 


Distance: 5 km
Time: 28:22
Average Pace: 5:40/km

Splits
1 - 5:41
2 - 5:52
3 - 5:39
4 - 5:35
5 - 5:33

Tuesday, July 9

I'm not running today. I'm in a down mood, so I was hoping to get my run in, but I'm so sleepy, and it's getting worse as the day goes on. I am looking forward to an early-ish bedtime tonight.

Wednesday, July 10

I went to the Running Room's 20 minute challenge. I know it's short, but it's better than the run I did yesterday, which was nothing. I had to drive to Charlottetown by myself, which is only the second time I've ever done that... and both times it was to go to the Running Room! The "challenge" started at the RR, and then down Kent onto the trail for 10 minutes... then turn around and come back. I thought about going for 2.5k and then turning around, but I didn't want to seem like I was mooching on their training program groups that were running too. I was running along Kent, and this older man came up behind me and said something that sounded like "On your right! The fast one is coming!" I thought that was rude, and glared at him, but then the other older guy he was trying to catch up with (right in front of me) made a joke about fossils, and I realized that he said "On your right! The fossil is coming". I felt bad for glaring at him. :(

Physically, I felt great on the run... the crowd mentality kept my pace seem easy, and it was too short of a run to make me hurt or get tired. I think it was just the sort of run I needed, since I'm still in a bit of a funk.

After the run, I got in the car and my head suddenly started to ache. I drank all of my water on the way home, thinking that would help, but it didn't.

Distance: 3.43 km
Time: 19:45
Average Pace: 5:46 km

Splits
1 - 5:50
2 - 5:53
3 - 5:41
last 0.43: 2:21

Thursday, July 11

When I woke up this morning, my head was still pounding, so I rolled over and went back to sleep until 8, then got up, had breakfast and "went" to work.

I went for a run after work at 5pm, and decided I'd just wing it and see how I felt. The humidity here is about 98.5%, and it was hot. I ran 3k from home, and 2k back (which meant I stopped just before that damn hill, known from now on as TDH). I'm not gonna lie, I used the pause button on my Garmin at least once twice OK! 3 times. I also wore my hydration belt to try to get used to drinking while running. Today, it was ok, I took small sips and drank more when I paused.

Random thoughts on the run:
These are the shortest shorts I own. I can't believe I'm wearing them in public.
I wonder if those footprints are from another runner.
OMG its like breathing in water

Distance: 5 km
Time: 28:39
Average Pace: 5:43km

Splits
1 - 5:35
2 - 5:53
3 - 6:09
4 - 5:22
5 - 5:39

TMI (but I think a foot photo is a right of passage for runner-blogs): I thought for sure that one of my blisters ripped, but it was ok. Still just a blister.
The second toes of both feet have perma-blisters. Super attractive, I know.

Also TMI, my sports bra was soaked when I got home, which made me feel super hard core and bad ass. I also took a picture of that too, but, like Little Fox says, "no one wants to see THAT". LOL

Friday, July 12

Rest day. Worked all day, took a short trip into K-town, worked a little bit at night too.

Saturday, July 13

I slept in my running clothes again last night, and had the alarm set for 6:30. Red Fox was awake when I got up, so we chatted for a few minutes while I wandered around getting my water bottles filled and eating a granola bar. I told him my route (I like someone to know where I will be running and how long I'll be), got my sneaks on and left. It was so nice and cool outside! I was actually looking forward to getting out of the shade and into the sun for a little warmth. 



I tried to keep my pace slow, but I let loose on the downhills (and apparently I forgot the memo on the way back). I ran from home, down river rd, straight across to the red clay road for 4k, and then back for the total of 8k. I was still bleary-eyed at the 2k point, so I stopped for a drink (and updated my facebook status LOL). It was a really beautiful morning, and because of the clay/sand road, I could see the footprints of whatever was there before me... horse hoof prints, fox or raccoon, rabbit, and a man and his dog.

I felt good during this whole run, and it seemed to go by quickly. I tried not to look at my Garmin much, and enjoyed my surroundings. I took a quick pause and a drink before tackling TDH, and made it the whole way up. The best part of the run was the downhill from the corner to our driveway. 

Distance: 8 km
Time: 48:36
Average Pace: 6:04 km

Splits
1 - 5:56
2 - 6:19
3 - 6:21
4 - 6:09
5 - 5:48
6 - 5:47
7 - 6:15 - TDH
8 - 5:59

3 comments:

  1. WTH is up with the formatting on these posts? I can't fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job this week Erin. Don't let those 'off' days get you down. You are doing a great job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope your race this morning was a good one!

      Delete