Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Post of Ice and Fire

Sorry, George R. R. Martin. I don't mean to steal your series title, but this is actually what we did yesterday. Well, ok, it was fire and THEN ice.

(Side note... this is a non-sewing post. Yes I know, stop cheering.)

Yesterday, we went to Red Fox's dad's property because he was burning the brush he had cut, and he wanted someone there in case it got out of control. No worries there, everything was a bit wet, and things were hardly burning without a little... encouragement. Which both scared and amazed Little Fox! And worried me, since I am my father's daughter, and I know what can happen... (Dad was a week short of coming to our wedding with no eyebrows or eye lashes).




When we got home, Little Fox and I went to the beach just down the road from Foxfield. We had fun checking out the big hunks of ice on the beach, and collecting shells. We even tasted it to see if it was salty! (I try to be a science geek mommy when I can). Also, I'm a geologist... we are known for licking rocks and colouring.



(hey mom... remember those fossilized raindrop imprints....)

After the beach, we played cars. "Playing Cars" means just sitting with Little Fox while he picks up every car and says any of the following:
- Wanna hear this guys engine, Mommy? Vrooooooooom!!!
-  In the game, this guy and this this guy are in a crash-up, and get all jammed.
-  What does your kid think of THIS guy mommy? (um, well... you tell me!)
-  Look at this guy's engines! (While pointing at the exhaust pipes)

 "Vroooooooom!!"  I LOVE this face!

After saying (at least) one of the above things, the cars all get "parked-ed" in a very orderly line up. The typical scenario is that they are all going to visit at "my dude's house" or "my buddy's place" and they all park in Buddy's driveway, get out of the cars and say "Hey dude!"  



Now, this mornings excitement all began with Molly laying on the kitchen floor, scratching at something underneath the cupboard. You know that 3-inch gap between the bottom of the cupboard and the floor? Yeah, in there. We assumed that it was a tasty morsel* that we dropped and didn't notice... until Red Fox got down to check it out and SURPRISE it was a BAT. OMG. I'll admit I shuddered and gagged a little. We put Molly outside, cause we were worried that this bat had whatever bat disease is "goin' 'round" here on the Island. Of course, by this time, the poor bat was pretty roughed up, thanks to Big Bad Molly. Red Fox picked it up (with gloves on, of course) and it was about this moment that I seriously considered getting Little Fox and hiding in the bathroom in case it started flying around. But then I realized that I'd have to come out of the bathroom eventually, regardless of flying bats. Anyway, the little bat's nose was black and had no indication of "bat cancer". Threat neutralized (or will be shortly) and crisis averted.

*  Note to my brother - omg "tasty morsel"... why does that make me think of you, and why do I find it so funny?

No comments:

Post a Comment