Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Bunny Hop race recap

We got up early and got ready to go to the Bunny Hop race in Charlottetown. We got Little Fox up, fed and dressed and I had 2 scrambled eggs with the plan of eating a muffin on the way. Of course, I forgot the muffin, so I asked Red Fox to stop at Tim's on the way and get me one. I ran in to go to the bathroom (I don't know if it was because I legit had to pee, or if it was just nerves), and when I came out, they were still in the drive thru line. I ran over to the truck, slipped on the ice and fell. Awesome. Red Fox asked if I was ok, other than my pride. I put on my bunny ears and asked "really, you think I have any pride?"

Anyway, we got to the race start line. I got Little Fox dressed up in my race shirt so he could run his 300 m race.

But then I realized we missed it. OMG I almost cried. Not because I thought Little Fox would be disappointed  but because I was really looking forward to seeing him race! If I had been a little more familiar with the area, I would have known that his race was on the street on the other side of Dairy Queen. :(  Oh well, he got a free ice cream anyway. Next year, I suppose. :(

I got in the 5k line up and got my headphones in. ready to roll. 


I wonder when I'll stop feeling like an impostor at races. Maybe when/if I have a running partner or friend to run with... I was standing in the middle of the crowed, looked over at Blaine and said "I'm lonely!" 

Anyway, all of a sudden people were moving. Oh, the guy said GO... oh. well then. I better start running. It was REALLY disheartening to have about 100 people pass me in the first 100 m! So many people passed me that I actually looked back to see if there was anyone else back there. I found my pace and held on as long as I could. I stopped to walk maybe 2 or 3 times. I saw the last km marker so picked up my pace a bit, but this "old man" passed me. I was like, THAT's encouraging... but then I saw that his jacket said "Boston Marathon" and decided that I wasn't too bothered after all. FINALLY I turned the last corner, saw the finish line and started actually RUNNING. I saw Red Fox Little Fox and my dad watching, and crossed the finish line with an unofficial time of 30 minutes. 






We're now all back home. Red Fox and dad are napping. Red fox is playing legos. And I'm having a tea. 
 
UPDATE: Official race results are in. Finally. I wasn't on the list at first... but once I sent them a link to their finish photo showing me and 2 other people finishing (they were on the list, but not me!), they updated it.  I placed 119th out of 183, with a time of 29:59. That's 52nd out of 180 women. That's a 5k personal best!

2 comments:

  1. I still feel like I'm alone in the the races as all of my friends are faster than me. Use this time to just visualize...hey we're gymnasts...we're used to competing in our own little worlds! And just remember...when people pass you....they might be starting too fast and you'll pass them in the final 1k. It happens all the time to me!!! Increasing your distance in your training will allow you to run a faster 5k...it's a great bi-product of longer mileage!

    Great job Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Court! It's so nice to have someone to talking running with!

      Delete