Monday, April 29, 2013

Pattern Hack

This is a sewing post, but I'm attempting to sew running shorts, so it's still relevant.

I am cheap (read: broke) so I didn't want to spend money on a pattern. I browsed online until I found one I liked and was able to download the assembly instructions. The pdf had a diagram of the pattern pieces, so I copied the photo, and pasted it in Surfer (a software program used to make 3d maps). I took my measurements (around my thigh, waist, etc) and enlarged the image until the measurements matched. Then, using tracing paper, I traced the pattern off of the screen... haha no, I don't have a printer!

Anyway... it worked... kinda! I got the general shape. The legs are laughably too long and loose, but that's easily fixable. The rise is too high, but that will be fixed when the waist band is added.


In this image, I shortened the one leg and the rise on the same side to show what I hope they will look like when complete compared to what they are now. 

Why does my stomach look normal, but my legs look zombie-coloured?

This first pair is made of velvet spandex... Yes, mom, I cut up my prom dress! But I wasn't sure how the pattern would work out, so I didn't want to use my "good" spandex before I was sure I could make it work!

4 comments:

  1. I'll send you a pattern, but you really don't need one. Good job.
    We'll talk about the dress LATER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed one to get the crotch part right (you know, so that the back is longer than the front...). And for some reason, I still can't wrap my head around HOW a pattern for shorts/pants works. I don't think I could draw one... I don't mind that the legs are too loose... I'd rather them be too big than too small... too big can be fixed!

    ReplyDelete