Saturday, April 20, 2013

Run Without Borders Race Recap, and a few unflattering photos

This morning was a windy and rainy morning. A GREAT day for a race! At a park right next to the "ocean".


We spent the night at Red Fox's mom's, which meant we were all tired this morning. Little Fox is a bed hog! Anyway, we got to Point Pleasant Park at 8:15-ish. I sent a text to Courteney to let her know we were there, and after a moment of confusion over a big black truck,we found each other. I got my number on and we wandered over to the Running Room tent where we took part in some group warm-up silliness. I felt like I had to pee, but I thought it was just nerves or that I was a little cold. We lined up and we were "off to the races". 

We chit-chatted a tiny bit at first, about how to run up hills. After the first kilometre, I knew that I actually did have to pee. I stopped at an outhouse (gag) just before the 1.5k mark. The door didn't have a latch. One handed re-dress isn't easy. One of the innocent by-runners may have caught a glimpse! (Don't look, Ethel!) I waved at Courteney on her way back and grabbed a drink at the 1.5k mark. 

You know what? There are some big hills in that park! And they sneak up on you... I was running along, feeling ok, when I turned a corner and there was a mountain. Gah. There were 2 mountains to run up. And I had to do the loop twice.

The first 4k I find hard. I was getting hot, my glasses were all misty (although thanks to the mist, my nose and sinuses weren't bothering me). I somehow got my number unpinned from my coat, unzipped and got it pinned back on my my shirt. By the 5th km, my breathing was better, but my arms were getting tired. I know... my ARMS? I don't know why my arms get tired when running, but they do. Turning that last corner and seeing the Running Room stuff was a relief, but I still had to do it all over again! With 33 mins on the clock, I stripped off my jacket, had a drink (thanks, Courteney!), took a few deep breaths, thought "I can't do this!" and started in on my the next 5k. 

The 6th km felt great. I was running right behind 2 women, one of which had a Doctors without Borders shirt on. The one on the left, below. Sorry it's blurry, but you know, I was running. 


The lady on the right stopped to walk, and I turned to her and said "It's my first 10k, we can do it!" and we struck up a little chat. The woman in the Doctors Without Borders shirt is the past president of the organization! A hero in my eyes. 

Here I am, looking super good on the run (literally). 

Seriously, what is wrong here? Why do I look so weird? Apparently, THIS is true.

By 7k, my legs were really getting tired. I sent a text to both Red Fox and C, saying "At 7. Dying" but obviously I didn't. I found the 8th and 9th km the hardest. Honestly, I walked some. But the good thing about up-hills, are the corresponding downhills. Never hold back on a down hill. C was waiting for me near the end, and she ran the last km or so with me. By this time, I was so focused on getting to the finish line that I forgot to pay attention to my breathing and was panting a bit. I do that in every race. 

And then: the big red FINISH LINE. I did it! I finished in one hour and 9 minutes. I didn't come last, but I don't think there were many people behind me! 

After the race, we had some snacks...

LOL "eating" pictures are NEVER flattering. Even Little Fox looks weird!

...and then we headed over to Spryfield to visit some friends. I got to meet their baby boy (super cute!), talk a bit of shop (D used to work at CSR), parenting, and "history" (D and I went though Geology together at Acadia). We headed out to Porters Lake to pick up the final load of crap stuff, and then hit the road back to PEI. 

So... what's my next race gonna be? 

5 comments:

  1. That was Erin's "amazing race"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on doing your first 10!! The hills at point pleasant park can be brutal... glad you made it through! Have you decided if you're doing the bluenose yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to do the 10k at the Blue Nose! I think running over the bridge would be so fun! I'm going to have to talk to Red Fox about it though. It will cost us about 200 dollars, for gas and the bridge toll from PEI. Although, if we make it a "visit friends and family" trip, it will be much more "worth it". Hopefully there is still space for me to register, I know they cap registration... Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  3. Just came across your blog tonight! I was volunteering at the race and was at the top of that brutal hill. I couldn't believe they made you run it twice!

    Congrats on finishing your first 10K :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I emailed the race organizer, but I'll tell you too. I thought the race was REALLY well organized, and the path well marked, and the volunteers were great, very encouraging! So thanks to you and all the rest for a great race for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete